The University of the East dates back to September 1946, when 110 students took up Certified Public Accountant review classes, organized by the late Dr. Francisco T. Dalupan Sr. and a group of educators, in a rented room on Dasmariñas Street in Manila. Four of those students became topnotchers in the 1947 CPA Board examination.
Encouraged by this initial success, Dr. Dalupan and his associates opened the Philippine College of Commerce and Business Administration (PCCBA) to some 350 business students in the summer of 1947 on R. Papa Street in Manila. Secretarial and secondary school students were also admitted later on.
In June 1948, the PCCBA moved to what is now UE’s Manila Campus along Azcaraga (now C.M. Recto Avenue). In rapid succession, it opened the College of Liberal Arts (now the College of Arts and Sciences), the College of Education, the Graduate School of Business Administration (now the Graduate School) and the College of Dentistry.
On July 3, 1951, the PCCBA was granted university status and became the University of the East, with Dr. Dalupan as Chairman of the Board and President.
The year 1950 marked the opening of the University’s College of Law. In 1963, the College of Commerce became the College of Business Adminstration. UE’s Caloocan Campus, along Samson Road in Caloocan City, was established in 1954 as a Vocational and Technical Training Center. It eventually became an autonomous unit headed by a Chancellor, with Colleges of Business Administration, Arts and Sciences, Engineering and Fine Arts.
In 1988, the Institute of Computer Studies and Systems in UE Manila became the College of Computer Studies and Systems.